The Morris Arboretum got its start in 1887 as Compton, the summer home of brother and sister John and Lydia Morris. In 1932, Compton became the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Today the arboretum is home to more than 12,000 labeled plants of approximately 2,500 types, several historic buildings, and a collection of historic and contemporary sculpture. Also a center for botanical and horticultural research, the arboretum promotes an understanding of the relationship between plants, people, and place through programs that integrate science, art, and the humanities.
In an effort to deepen visitors' curiosity about the arboretum's plants, architecture, and history, the Morris Arboretum will develop mobile technology that provides instant access to a wide variety of content that is currently unavailable. This content will run the gamut from the educational to the playful, in order to engage visitors of all ages: photographs and archival material from the Arboretum's collections, expanded information on specific plants and trees, oral histories, and audio clips from experts in botany, architecture, and other fields.
*Additional unrestricted funds are added to each grant for general operating support.*