Bartram's Garden is a home for horticulture, the first nationally landmarked landscape, and the oldest surviving botanic garden in North America. The site encompasses the 1728 John Bartram House and farm buildings, a 12-acre historic garden, a 15-acre meadow reclaimed from a former concrete factory, a recreational trail and public dock, community farm, orchard, and food resource center, plant nursery, and the only tidal wetlands on the lower Schuylkill River.
Bartram's Garden's new nursery propagates and promotes native plants, including some first discovered by the Bartram family, the founders of what is now a 45-acre National Historic Landmark. In a fundamental shift from simply telling the history of the property in show-and-tell tours, the nursery now provides hands-on experiences for visitors—a return to Bartram's Garden's roots as a botanic garden where plants are collected, grown, and shared. Grant funds supported the hiring of a nursery manager who leads volunteer and public programs. These programs are designed to connect meaningfully with core audiences and members, and to encourage them to take an active role in sustaining the nursery's plant life. The grant also supported the construction of a nursery, the revitalization of the Bartram's Garden website, and volunteer engagement with the new nursery materials. In its first year, over 1,200 plants were propagated in the nursery, many for sale at the site and at local farmers' markets. Bartram's saw significant increases in online and onsite visitation, as well as new partnerships with the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society and the Urban Nutrition Initiative. [fn]Management grants, through the Philadelphia Cultural Management Initiative, were awarded from 2009 through 2013.[/fn]