The Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia is a membership-based, nonprofit organization that promotes the protection, importance, and appropriate use of historic buildings and urban landscapes in the region. Through advocacy, planning efforts, and community programming, the Preservation Alliance looks after and restores Philadelphia's historic built environment, with programs that support homeowners and community leaders. With Center support in 2012, the Preservation Alliance worked with the owners of the vacant John Coltrane House in North Philadelphia to plan a program strategy for the jazz great's former home. In 2016, the Preservation Alliance received Center support to plan a contemporary restaging of the Philadelphia City Planning Commission's 1947 Better Philadelphia Exhibition—a pivotal historic project that helped define the city's urban redevelopment.
The Preservation Alliance of Greater Philadelphia worked with African-American historic churches and historic house museums to develop capacity at these significant, but often under-resourced sites in Philadelphia. Building on the Preservation Alliance's successful Neighborhood Preservation Program, these projects provided opportunities for important collaboration among these sites. Training, offered in partnership with Partners for Sacred Places, offered congregations resources for capital fundraising and the development of new community partnerships. The Preservation Alliance also worked with the growing number of African-American historic sites to assess and develop collaborative interpretation and marketing efforts.