Stenton, the home of William Penn’s Secretary, James Logan, 1730. Photo by Jim Garrison, 2012.
Stenton, recently restored Yellow Lodging Room. Photo by Jere Paolini, 2017.
Stenton, storyteller Irma Gardner Hammond portrays Dinah at Stenton. Photo by Jeff Story, 2011.
Built in 1730 as a country house by James Logan—secretary to William Penn—Stenton is known for its early Georgian architecture and outstanding collections of 18th- and 19th-century Logan family furnishings and objects. Since 1899, The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has worked to preserve and maintain Stenton. The Society’s efforts resulted in the Colonial Revival garden, an interpretation of an 18th-century garden; and the History Hunters Youth Reporter Program, which serves over 2,500 Philadelphia schoolchildren each year. In 2018, Stenton received Center support to engage its surrounding Northwest Philadelphia community in the commissioning of a new memorial to Dinah, an enslaved woman who lived at the site. In 2021, Stenton received a collaborative Re:imagining Recovery grant, along with Cliveden and Historic Germanton, to consider how an 18-member consortium of historic sites in Northwest Philadelphia can leverage shared resources to strengthen community relationships.