Milford Graves, Beyond Polymath, 2017. Photo courtesy of Ars Nova Workshop.
Presented in partnership with the Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) at the University of Pennsylvania, each screening begins streaming at 6 p.m. and remains online until the next begins.
- Introduction Part 1: Speaking in Tongues
- Introduction Part 2: Festac ’77
- Research and Investigation: Heart Music
- In Performance Part 1: Collaborative Projects
- In Performance Part 2: Solo Work
- Encounters in Japan: Min Tanaka
- The Botanist: Graves in the Garden
- The Griot: Performative Lectures
- Yara Martial Arts Movements: Healing Arts
A Mind-Body Deal explores Graves’ influential career as a drummer as well as his work in activism, medicine, botany, and martial arts. The exhibition featuring Graves’ artworks, archival recordings, and ephemera is on view at ICA through January 24, 2021.