Interior of the Cliveden Main House’s 1959 kitchen space, built from a kit made by the Quaker Maid Company. Hailed in the 1950s as the “Kitchen of tomorrow,” it is located in what was once a Colonnade (circa 1776) that connected the Main House with the Kitchen Dependency outbuilding.
Through Cliveden's Living Kitchens, Cliveden of the National Trust undertakes a historical interpretation project that compares domestic life in two centuries through the exploration of the 1767 and 1959 kitchens inside Cliveden's historic Germantown mansion, revealing how architecture, design, and the technology of the times defined the experiences of those enslaved and in service and their relationships with the household's family. As part of the project, Cliveden presents a series of "Kitchen Conversations"—moderated discussions with scholars, community members, and activists about issues surrounding race, history, and memory.
In this "Kitchen Conversation," Dr. Elizabeth Cromely, emeritus professor at Northeastern University's School of Architecture, will lead participants through Cliveden's 1950s-era kitchen and discuss the historical context of 1950s architecture.
Suggested donation of $15; refreshments will be provided. Interested participants can RSVP by calling 215.848.1777 ext. 223.